British Ski & Snowboard Development Squad gets a taste of Go Faster Food

A quick trip up the M5/M6 saw me in Manchester at the amazing state-of-the-art Chill Factore artifical indoor ski slope this weekend giving 'eating for performance' workshops to the British Ski and Snowboard U14, U16 and U21 Development Squads as part of their annual fitness training weekend.

What a great bunch of young people!

This is the age when kids are starting to make their own decisions about what they eat as they spend more time outside the home, and in this case, weeks away from home training abroad.

My main aim in the workshops was for these elite skiers and snowboarders to really take on board the concept of nutrition as an integral part of their training. What they eat on the mountain, in the gym, before, during and after training is hugely important, but just as important is what they eat on an everyday basis - breakfast, lunch and supper.

I'm pretty sure they got the message! And they had great fun too (food should ultimately be fun shouldn't it?) whizzing up delicious blueberry & banana recovery shakes/concoctions and #GoFaster date & coconut energy balls.

Top Tips for Eating for Performance

It’s your body!

Take responsibility for yourself. Know what you are putting in it.

Would you put diesel into a Ferrari?

Keep it simple. Make it REAL FOOD and cut the processed.

Go for a good balance of carbs (55-60%), protein (20%) and fats, with plenty of variety to ensure an adequate intake of vitamins and minerals. Read more here.

Ask yourself "would your Grannie recognise this?".

See #GoFasterFood's top 15 foods to fuel your 2015 here.

Slow-release for sustained energy

Low GI foods release their energy gradually so these should make up the bulk of your diet. Read more about the Glycaemic Index here.

Fast-release for speedy recovery - 15-30min MAGIC WINDOW

High GI foods eaten within the magic window will help the body recover more quickly.

A combo of carbohydrate and protein (3-4 to 1 ratio) is best.


The 80/20 rule makes good nutrition more achievable. Eating the right foods 80% of the time means you can treat yourself for the remaining 20%.

Mind your pees! Hydrate for success.

Do the pee test to check hydration.

Water or homemade sports drink is best.

Milk makes an excellent recovery drink.

On the mountain, in the gym, on a run, whatever the activity, set a timer to remind yourself to drink.

Sports nutrition is more than protein shakes & energy bars!

What you eat before, during and after training is hugely important, but what you eat on an everyday basis - breakfast, lunch and supper - is also crucial to consistent, injury-free training.

Make your own recovery shakes by blending milk with fruit and honey - cheaper, healthier and just as effective. Go to recovery recipes.

Take rest and recovery seriously.

This is important for us all, but especially important for growing teenagers. It is when the muscles are at rest that they repair and grow.

For more fabulously energising recipes check out

Kate Percy's Go Faster Food books.

Go to the Go Faster Food Store or visit Amazon if you prefer.

Featured Posts